About This Blog


This blog was started as a place to post book reviews. The books reviewed here will be mixed. Science Fiction, Fantasy, Romance, General Fiction, NonFiction and more. Both positve and negative reviews will be posted, as well as reviews for books written for all ages and all reading levels.

Many of the books reviewed here are ones that I have purchased for my own reading pleasure. Some, I receive free in exchange for reviews. Beginning in December, 2009 you will know which are the free ones if you read the final paragraph of my reviews.

Also of note: I choose what I will read, attempting to avoid the books on which I would end up writing a negative review... but I have been known to make mistakes. Thus you see some one and two star reviews here. Since I don't enjoy writing negative reviews, I only write them if the review was promised, or if the book was so exceedingly bad, I just had to say so. Regardless of the percentage of positive to negative reviews on this blog, I give my honest opinion each and every time, and have never received financial compensation for posting my reviews.

Note that, except for fair use portions quoted from some of the books reviewed, all copyright in the content of the reviews belongs to Lady Dragoness.


Thursday, April 21, 2011

Interesting But Somewhat Predictable

Heirs of Mars: Preludes
By Joseph Robert Lewis
Joseph Robert Lewis (2011)
Kindle Edition; Print length: 50 pages
Rated 3 stars of 5 possible

This short anthology contains a series of three inter-linked short stories that provide a prelude to the novel, Heirs of Mars. These three stories from three unique perspectives describe life on Venus, Earth, and Mars in the years and days before the novel begins. Following the three short stories, there is an excerpt from the novel, Heirs of Mars.

Taken one-by-one, the short stories don't reveal much, but togther they build toward the opening of the novel in a way that grabs the reader's interest.  None of these stories turn out as the reader might expect, yet the latter two seem at least predictable in some ways. The first, to me, seems the best of the lot - perhaps because the characters were better developed and/or the plot more planned than the latter two stories.

The second story builds a bit toward an ironic ending in which the main character gets exactly the kind of life from which she is attempting to escape... nice suspense builder, but I find that I couldn't care for the characters much.

The third story, which is also ironic, also failed to make me care for the main character; but his family... well, if the story were longer, and if I was given the chance to understand them better...

These shorts can be skipped or you can read them after the novel as well as before. There's nothing here that's required reading before you read the novel, and no major spoilers either. The choice is up to the reader...

This review has been simultaneously published on Dragon Views, Library Thing and Amazon.com as well as wherever else might be deemed appropriate by me.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment