About This Blog


This blog was started as a place to post book reviews. The books reviewed here will be mixed. Science Fiction, Fantasy, Romance, General Fiction, NonFiction and more. Both positve and negative reviews will be posted, as well as reviews for books written for all ages and all reading levels.

Many of the books reviewed here are ones that I have purchased for my own reading pleasure. Some, I receive free in exchange for reviews. Beginning in December, 2009 you will know which are the free ones if you read the final paragraph of my reviews.

Also of note: I choose what I will read, attempting to avoid the books on which I would end up writing a negative review... but I have been known to make mistakes. Thus you see some one and two star reviews here. Since I don't enjoy writing negative reviews, I only write them if the review was promised, or if the book was so exceedingly bad, I just had to say so. Regardless of the percentage of positive to negative reviews on this blog, I give my honest opinion each and every time, and have never received financial compensation for posting my reviews.

Note that, except for fair use portions quoted from some of the books reviewed, all copyright in the content of the reviews belongs to Lady Dragoness.


Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Eye-opening Fiction

Disposable People
David W. Huffstetler
CreateSpace (October 1, 2008)
PDF ebook: 246 pages
Rated 5 Stars of 5 Possible

A Hispanic-American newspaper reporter from Texas investigates the plight of illegal immigrant workers in South Carolina by becoming one of them. When her cover is blown, she discovers just how dangerous and unpredictable the situation really is.

Written as fiction, Disposable People reads as non-fiction and seems even more fact-filled than most newspaper stories. While I was able to spot a few minor errors in the text, the story itself is well-told and nearly flawless, as well as being a riveting page-turner that grabs the reader on page one and just does not let go. The story is evenly paced and easily read. I finished reading this slim novel in about three days while devoting the majority of my time to other pursuits. Still, there are many points of discussion raised in the text; Disposable People is not a fluffy tale.  Nearly three weeks later, as I write these comments, the story still haunts my waking hours.

Disposable People is recommended reading for those who like fact-based fiction and for those wanting to better understand the trials and tribulations of illegal immigrant workers. While there is a slight amount of romance, that element merely adds interest. Romance is not the main element to the story. The PDF of this novel was given to me free in exchange for this review. This review has been simultaneously posted at Dragonviews, LibraryThing and Amazon.com

No comments:

Post a Comment