About This Blog


This blog was started as a place to post book reviews. The books reviewed here will be mixed. Science Fiction, Fantasy, Romance, General Fiction, NonFiction and more. Both positve and negative reviews will be posted, as well as reviews for books written for all ages and all reading levels.

Many of the books reviewed here are ones that I have purchased for my own reading pleasure. Some, I receive free in exchange for reviews. Beginning in December, 2009 you will know which are the free ones if you read the final paragraph of my reviews.

Also of note: I choose what I will read, attempting to avoid the books on which I would end up writing a negative review... but I have been known to make mistakes. Thus you see some one and two star reviews here. Since I don't enjoy writing negative reviews, I only write them if the review was promised, or if the book was so exceedingly bad, I just had to say so. Regardless of the percentage of positive to negative reviews on this blog, I give my honest opinion each and every time, and have never received financial compensation for posting my reviews.

Note that, except for fair use portions quoted from some of the books reviewed, all copyright in the content of the reviews belongs to Lady Dragoness.


Thursday, September 15, 2011

A Tale of Medieval Scotland

Freedom's Sword
By J.R. Tomlin
J.R. Tomlin, (2011)
Kindle Edition
Print length 242 pages
Rated 4 stars of 5 possible

Freedom's Sword begins in 1296, during the invasion of King Edward Longshanks of England. Several years pass between the beginning and end of this novel. Action, adventure, romance, and other elements tied together by a suspenseful plotline make Freedom's Sword a page turner that historical fiction lovers won't want to miss.

Story-wise the tale is nearly perfect but could use some judicious editing by the author or someone familiar with Middle English terminology, some of which is used here for effect. I suspect there were a few times that at least one word was used when another word was intended, not to mention a few errors of other grammatical or typographical origins, to the point where this book looks very much like an uncorrected first draft rather than the final finished product.

The expected brutality of this tale was rather prominent, but I don't believe it was overdone.  Such violence and brutality may, however, make the tale unsuitable for some readers.  Recommended for that subset of readers for whom the violence of the period isn't too much, and for whom the numerous typographical and grammatical errors in this book aren't a problem.

This book was provided to me free by the author in exchange for review. This review is being published on Dragon Views, Amazon.com and LibraryThing.

No comments:

Post a Comment