About This Blog


This blog was started as a place to post book reviews. The books reviewed here will be mixed. Science Fiction, Fantasy, Romance, General Fiction, NonFiction and more. Both positve and negative reviews will be posted, as well as reviews for books written for all ages and all reading levels.

Many of the books reviewed here are ones that I have purchased for my own reading pleasure. Some, I receive free in exchange for reviews. Beginning in December, 2009 you will know which are the free ones if you read the final paragraph of my reviews.

Also of note: I choose what I will read, attempting to avoid the books on which I would end up writing a negative review... but I have been known to make mistakes. Thus you see some one and two star reviews here. Since I don't enjoy writing negative reviews, I only write them if the review was promised, or if the book was so exceedingly bad, I just had to say so. Regardless of the percentage of positive to negative reviews on this blog, I give my honest opinion each and every time, and have never received financial compensation for posting my reviews.

Note that, except for fair use portions quoted from some of the books reviewed, all copyright in the content of the reviews belongs to Lady Dragoness.


Saturday, August 25, 2007

Set Your Creativity Free

A Writer's Book of Days:
A Spirited Companion and Lively Muse for the Writing Life

Judy Reeves
New World Library (November 1999)
Paperback: 240 pages

Rated 5 Stars of 5 Possible

A Writer's Book of Days is full of inspiring and challenging prompts to get you started in your own writing. There is also practical instruction (ignore that critic in your head) on how to get past the stumbling blocks that every writer encounters at one time or another, and encouraging, supportive advice on making writing part of your daily life. Daily prompts culled from hundreds of writing workshops taught by the author help open the door to your own creative process.

What does the beginning writer need?  Just a pencil and paper! Everybody has those, or can easily get them at their neighborhood store. Judy Reeves recommends going back to paper and pencil to discourage you from editing your work as you go. The main thing about writing practice is to get it down on paper. Spelling, grammer, and punctuation are all secondary and should come AFTER that first draft is complete.

I'll admit that edit as I go has been my writing style since I started using computers oh so many years ago... I don't write that way in my practice notebook though. I just write - and I don't even worry about how sloppy my writing turns out.  With the solid advice contained in this book, my writer's block is broken...and my creativity has been set free. I have seen my writing improve day by day,and you can too!

Work through the book day by day (my personal goal for 2008) or skip around as I have been doing this year. Do not forget to read the author's excellent advice. There are sufficient daily prompts to keep you busy writing for an entire year, plus extras in case you should need them; but you shouldn't need the extras. You can use each prompt multiple times and get different results each time, so when you've gotten through the book the first time, you will probably find you are nowhere near finished. I highly recommend
A Writer's Book of Days.

No comments:

Post a Comment