About This Blog


This blog was started as a place to post book reviews. The books reviewed here will be mixed. Science Fiction, Fantasy, Romance, General Fiction, NonFiction and more. Both positve and negative reviews will be posted, as well as reviews for books written for all ages and all reading levels.

Many of the books reviewed here are ones that I have purchased for my own reading pleasure. Some, I receive free in exchange for reviews. Beginning in December, 2009 you will know which are the free ones if you read the final paragraph of my reviews.

Also of note: I choose what I will read, attempting to avoid the books on which I would end up writing a negative review... but I have been known to make mistakes. Thus you see some one and two star reviews here. Since I don't enjoy writing negative reviews, I only write them if the review was promised, or if the book was so exceedingly bad, I just had to say so. Regardless of the percentage of positive to negative reviews on this blog, I give my honest opinion each and every time, and have never received financial compensation for posting my reviews.

Note that, except for fair use portions quoted from some of the books reviewed, all copyright in the content of the reviews belongs to Lady Dragoness.


Sunday, December 6, 2009

A Bitter-Sweet Christmas Story

First, a comment and then, I promise, I'll get on with the review. :)  As with many of the other books I've read this year, The Christmas Sweater by Glenn Beck came to me through an online book club that I joined.  Almost without exception, those books have not been something I'd choose for myself, but the vast majority of them have been exceptionally good reading and I'm most certainly glad I joined the group.  If you're looking to broaden your own reading horizons, join a local book club or an online book club.  And now, I've yakked enough... so on with the review!

The Christmas Sweater

By Glenn Beck
Publisher: Threshold Editions (2008)
Format: Hardcover, 284 pages
Rated: 5 stars of 5 possible

Young Eddie was having a hard time adjusting to the fact that life without his father was different. His mother worked four jobs to pay for the necessary things in life, and traded hours with her co-workers so that she could spend more time with him. Eddie really only wanted one thing for Christmas, a shiny new bicycle, but he knew that his mom would have a hard time coming up with the money for that bicycle... so he prayed to God that she would find a way, and promised that he would earn it.  Like the main character in Mitch Albom's For One More Day, and like Ebenezer Scrooge in the Charles Dickens classic A Christmas Carol, after a long period of deep soul-searching, young Eddie wants his chance for atonement.

The Christmas Sweater
has another thing in common with the Mitch Albom book mentioned earlier. This is a genre I mostly don't find myself attracted to reading, and would never have chosen for myself. This novel is a tear jerker, which almost caused me not to open it. I don't normally seek those out on purpose. Still, because of my tendency to read almost anything, I decided to give The Christmas Sweater a chance. I'm glad I did. Its smaller than usual size (pages are seven inches high by 5 inches wide) makes this book easy to handle and to carry around, which you may want to do simply because it's so hard to put aside. The novel is well written, easy to read, and is one of those heart-warming stories which stay with you long after you finish. Unlike many other novels, this one ends on a positive note, so I can recommend it to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment